Monday, May 18, 2009

Wild Mustard



Painted yesterday...and I ran out of time so only one image was made yesterday. Something about the interaction of colours and viewing the scene from afar was appealing. The strong yellow of the wayward mustard...leftovers from last year or wild seed, combined with the fresh green and the heavy, somewhat overcast sky, spoke of a special quality of spring that seems to move so quickly. It was very pleasant making this. In my favourite pieces there is usually a fine balance between abstraction and a certain kind of realism. I like to be able to feel myself in the picture...to walk on the grass...to breath the air. It's something I aim for but it doesn't always happen even if the picture might have other redeeming qualities. The ease of decision making is important to me. I agonize over too much and I don't want to agonize over pictures.....when the flow from decision to decision happens almost automatically the experience of picture making becomes more memorable and self-sustaining.

5" x 5" acrylic collage painting on acid-free matte board, external card size, 6" x 6", now listed in my Etsy shop.
SOLD

2 comments:

  1. Astounding. Gives the impression of a much larger canvas. Such elegant broad strokes and subtle colors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get back to bigger things....maybe not....something very fitting about the small scale.

    ReplyDelete