Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Life of a Space





Some of my favourite times at school are spent simply considering the piles of work produced by students in these rooms. Some of the work shown here will soon be assembled into a student exhibition of little figure sculptures (grade 9s and 10s), and the high-coloured poster figure images which will be put in frames. Over my 20 years teaching art these rooms have acquired a history...layers of materials...so many projects. New projects/assignments are continually invented....so many things are possible repetition of the tried and true is not necessary. All of this influences what I do in my own art as well. I think the idea of using coloured papers for collage landscapes started here. We will do small collages next and use up some to those painted papers made over the years.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful to see your teaching space, Harry. It seems as though it is bursting with creative energy. The "poster figure images" are very dynamic. How I'd love to go back and chat with my high school art teacher and thank him for giving me exactly what you are giving your students. Keep up the great work and thank you for posting this most interesting series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. This is what the space looks like when it's fairly organized. It's a bit of a struggle to keep it fully functional...things can get very messy, but I do enjoy these rooms.

    ReplyDelete