Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Affordable Artwork

Thanks to the folks at Apartment Therapy. for including one of my paintings in their piece about gifting affordable artwork. I made this comment:

"Thank you very much for including my work, and thank you for recognizing that in today's market there are [some] like me....highly trained artists who are selling ORIGINAL artwork at low prices because they wish to completely avoid the overhead and rather large headache of dealing with commercial galleries. All of my work in my Etsy shop is original...and inexpensive. I have for many years laughed out loud every time I've heard the sage advice "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". True perhaps if you are trying to buy a plasma tv for $50.00. Not true if you are clever enough to look in out-of-the-way corners, and you have the discriminating knowledge and taste to know when you are in front of a really good deal! Thank you for noticing and enjoy!"

How is this possible? I don't have to make the majority of my living from my paintings. And while I am very prolific it still is fairly ridiculous for me to sell my things at the price I do (my old art professors would be shaking their heads). My prices are almost comparable to what people charge for open edition archival Epson prints of their work, ordered on demand.....and mine are originals....once they're gone, they're gone. I am able to do this because I can. I have always been a producing artist and moving artwork quickly out the door is a great impetus for making more. I'll simply document my place in the world as long as I can.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about pricing, Harry, so don't too outta place. Why should I leave myself out of "regular folks" price range. Some people tell me I am priced too low, but that is apparently not true due to the fact that they are selling. I know what they are worth because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support this strategy, and I appreciate it in you and other artists!

    ReplyDelete