Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Farm at Dusk (Sold)


The leaves are mostly off the trees...the sweet smell of moldering foliage in the dampness of evening. I often walk by this farm...it'll be cold and dark by the time I get home. Acrylic and pencil on unprimed Somerset paper 7.5 x 11 inches.

Here's a useful tip for those who work with water soluble paints, acrylic, watercolour, opaque watercolour. I made this on Somerset paper and there was a very watery undercoat of pink to start. This paper, though fairly thick, and archival, buckled a lot in the drying process. Not a problem!....when this happens, I wait for the piece to fully dry (at least overnight, so that the acrylic not only dries but cures a bit). I spray the back of the piece with distilled water, and with a fairly large housepainter's brush, I brush it into the paper. Repeat in 5 minutes after all the water soaks into the paper. Next I put the piece in between flat boards, with absorbent paper beneath and above it. Now put a pile of heavy books on top of your boards. Leave your painting there for a few days. Check to see how the paper is drying, and replace the absorbent paper with other sheets so that the painting paper fully dries. All the wrinkles are gone!

www.harrystooshinoff.com

No comments:

Post a Comment