Thursday, January 14, 2016

Squalls, Lake Ontario









 
Squalls, Lake Ontario
....very cold with periodic white-outs at lake's edge yesterday. Acrylic collage painting on Stonehenge paper 10 x 13 inches, image size 9 x 10 inches.
 
All my collage papers seem to get stacked on my shelves these days. I have about 4-5 piles. At the start of each collage, I'll go through a stack and preselect some colours. This is not that difficult....I don't look through them all. It might take me 5-10 minutes to select 4-5 colours to use in the gluing stage.
 
Gluing down is strangely peaceful. There's a whole ritual to that. spread glue, apply paper, rub paper with clean paper placed overtop, keep turning that top paper and rubbing more, take a cloth and mop up the glue on the worktable, wash my hands in a pail of water, dry my hands....repeat! I usually listen to CBC talk radio while I work, and make rude comments throughout.
 
Once all the surface is covered with collage, I might change my mind and re-collage an area if the colours are not creating a strong enough colour relationship.
 
Little bits of paint are applied to my mixing caps. In this piece I didn't anticipate doing a whole lot of painting, so the amount of paint put out was less than usual. It often doesn't take much painting to make all the collage parts to come together. But one must be careful because the collage aspects can be quickly overpowered by brushwork. I keep the damp cloth close at hand so that a layer of paint can be quickly removed or modified....I especially like to fade edges with a wipe of the damp cloth.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment